Tuesday, September 14, 2010

On pasta and the simple things

I have returned to the world of blogging after a busy, fun filled summer! I had a nice little garden of plants in pots that is still producing tomatoes, peppers, and herbs that I enjoyed using in some delightful summer cooking (there was lots of grilling involved). I also frequented our local farmers market and got a bunch of tasty, locally grown veggies. Some of my favorites are the variety of summer squashes and peppers available. They come in such pretty colors, they are hard to resist.


Some of these sautéed in olive oil with a little salt and pepper and some fresh herbs make a simple and delicious side dish. Or toss some spinach feta sausage in with the veggies and put it over quinoa and you have a tasty simple lunch or dinner!

One thing I really learned to appreciate in Italy was the simplicity of cooking. It is possible to create really amazing dishes with uncomplicated ingredients. Pasta is an example of where this theory really holds true. My chef told me that when it comes to pasta, simple is always better. He suggested just some fresh herbs, a little olive oil, and parmesan cheese when I was at a loss for an idea for lunch one day. Now that I am home, I occasionally make really wonderful, easy pasta dishes. One of my favorites is pasta (I usually use linguini) with some crushed red pepper flakes, olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice, salt and plenty of fresh cracked pepper, and of course, parmesan cheese. Another dish I made recently that was really amazing and very simple was quinoa pasta tossed with some fresh tomatoes and fresh basil from my garden topped with salt, pepper, and cheese! It looks really bright and fresh too. It is sure to impress as a nice light dinner or a starting course in true Italian style!


I think it is important to appreciate the simple things in life, especially when it comes to food. The best flavors usually come from whole ingredients like fresh herbs, tomatoes or berries picked right off the bush, or carrots right from the dirt. I experimented with growing purple heirloom carrots in a large pot this summer and they are great! (though small and not very purple)


When you are cooking at home and experimenting with foods, I highly recommend keeping simplicity in mind. In everyday life it is easy to get distracted by everything going on, but when you get in the kitchen to cook-maybe focusing on simple, fresh, tasty ingredients can help you to focus on the other simple pleasures in your life.
Keep things simple, and chop on!

No comments:

Post a Comment