Tuesday, March 9, 2010

On Tapenade and Tomatoes

Today I had a tasting for an event I am catering in April. (Yes, it was actually solid food, not just juice!) I spent most of yesterday shopping and cooking many of my menu items for a few of the big wigs at the company hosting the open house to sample. The whole thing was MUCH more informal than I was thinking. I was stuck on the corner of a table in a communal office with two Doctors trying to work; needless to say, not what I expected. I was all prepared to talk about how I used local, organic or natural, and healthy ingredients when possible and how I re-hydrated my dried figs in brandy then used that to deglaze the caramelized onion pan and made that into a sauce...... Anyway, everyone devoured the samples and approved everything even without the preparation details.



One of my new menu items that is sort of fun and looks exciting is stuffed cherry tomatoes. I decided to stuff mine with a homemade tapenade which is traditionally a mixture of finely chopped olives, capers, anchovies, and olive oil, however, I used different ingredients because I think it tastes better and I am not a huge fan of capers or anchovies.
To make these delicious 1 bite snacks you will need a bunch of cherry tomatoes, and either homemade (recipe to follow) or store bought tapenade.


Tapenade recipe:
1/2 cup kalamata olives
1/2 cup green olives or mixed olives
6 peppadew peppers
8 marinated artichoke heart quarters
4 small marinated fresh mozzarella balls
5 small cubes feta

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend to desired consistency.


Step 1 for prepping the tomatoes as seen above- cut the core out of the tomato and remove the seeds.
Step 2: fill tomato with tapenade.
Step 3: garnish with parsley and Enjoy!

In addition to these stuffed tomatoes, I made:
Fig, caramelized onion, and gorgonzola bars

A variety of things on toasted bread- Tarragon chicken salad on cranberry walnut bread, Chevre and cucumber triangles, Sundried tomato and ricotta bruschetta, and a delicious Turkey, brie, bacon, and raspberry jam (not pictured).

Well, it was an exciting couple days of cooking and sharing food. Maybe my enthusiasm will inspire some new ideas or twists on these recipes. If anyone out there comes up with anything good-please share in a comment! and Chop on.

1 comment:

  1. These sound delicious! I will have to try them. Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete